Thursday, November 29, 2012

The First Christmas Card

Every year, for as far back as I care to remember, the first Christmas card to arrive in my mail box has come from an old highschool friend.  For those of you who don't know, highschool was darn near 50 years ago.  Last year, just before Christmas,  I lost my lifelong friend and that was a very sad thing.

I have just received the first Christmas card of this season.  Instead of my the usual one from my old friend, with her lengthy letter to tell me all about her life and that of her family, I got one that was simply signed, along with a Merry Christmas greeting that the makers no longer see fit to imprint on the card itself.  It was an instant reminder of my loss, and instead of the excitement a first card usually brings, it has just brought sadness.


No comments:

Post a Comment