Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Valentines Day

I've had all kinds of plans running around in my head for Valentines Day this year.  As I have mentioned, I've been making cards for people all over the world. I did not, however, get around to making any for my own special people and I didn't get out shopping either, due to the nasty weather.

Normally what I do is make a special supper with a Valentine type of dessert. I had a really busy day Tuesdsay, and have the same problem today (Valentines Day), so I needed something simple to make. We're going to have a chicken stirfry with rice. I got to go grocery shopping yesterday, but was never alone long enough to sneak even a card into the basket. I got distracted by various sales, and while trying to stay within my budget, I completely forgot the little extras I needed to pull off what I had planned.  My guys are going to think I just don't care about them!

Last night I decided I'd make a Tomato Soup Cake. It's at least red....sort of, and it will be a treat for their lunch as it does pack easily.  I mentioned it on Facebook and was surprised to find someone who didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Perhaps she's just too young as it was a staple when I was growing up and I used to make it for my boys. Well, hey, they are 50 and 41 now, so it is an old recipe. I've decided to share it here, as a special treat to all of you who have not had the pleasure.










Tomato Soup Cake

1/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 can Campbell's tomato soup (do not substitute!)
1 1/3 cup flour (scant)
1 tspsoda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 to 1 cup raisins

Cream sugar into shortening. Mix in the beaten egg and the soup.
Add the dry ingredients and mix well.  Stir in the raisins.
Pour into a greased and floured 8 inch pan  and
Bake at 350F for 1 hour.

Happy Valentines Day

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this cake...not sure if I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I have never met anyone yet that didn't like it. If you are one of those strange people that don't like raisins, leave them out. It's just a spice cake after all.
    Go ahead. Try it. It's quick and easy to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks interesting!! I too have never heard of this cake.

    ReplyDelete